Dough and Grains has very intelligently added Chinese Herbs into bread. It is not only both creative and innovative but also very healthy as these Chinese Herbs will nourish the body. Beside using Chinese Herbs, Dough and Grains has wisely combined normal ingredients such as using walnut, green tea, lychee, apricot and etc for the many benefits of health. They must have understand the properties of the ingredient very well. In Chinese there are two words 食疗 which means using food for the benefit of health.
The Dough and Grains originated at Tiong Bahru area. Now it has an outlet at Chinatown Point; it is an extremely convenient location. It’s good news for all patrons who are interested trying out.
I went on two occasions and bought three kinds of bread and a tart; the Lychee Jade, the Chocolate Malt, the Black Pearl and the Chinese Yam Tart.
The Lychee Jade is made of green tea in the outer bread dough and it has dried lychee and apricot added into dough. This is to prevent cancer growth. I can’t remember what the Chocolate Malt bread was for.
The Black Pearl has a Chinese Herb known as He Shouwu which promote hair growth, walnut and black charcoal bamboo. It does not have a strong herbal taste instead a sweet fragrance. I am one who resist Chinese Herb taste, high resistance mind you.
I tried the Chinese Yam Egg Tart, I like it. The egg custard has the right sweetness level and it also has a eggy fragrance. I am not sure how the Chinese Yam taste like; I think probably sweet. It is a good idea and the bread taste good as well. Dough and Grains has a chicken bun with Dan Gui, a Chinese Herb which I was told good for ladies, which I want to try next.
Dough and Grains
Chinatown Point 133 New Bridge Road #B1-46 Singapore 059413
Daily 1100 to 2100
By MRT: Northeast line or Downtown line – Chinatown station; or East West line – Outram Park station
– alight at New Bridge Road bus stop 2, 12, 33, 54, 63, 80, 124, 143, 147, 190, 851, 961, 970, CT8, CT18, CT28
– alight at South Bridge Road bus stop 61, 80, 145, 166, 197
– alight at Eu Tong Seng bus stop, outside People’s Park Complex 2, 12, 33, 61, 63, 143, 197, 961, 970, CT8, CT18, CT28
– alight at Eu Tong Seng, outside People’s Park Center 54, 124, 145, 147, 166, 190, 851
Main Outlet @ Tiong Bahru
Block 71 Seng Poh Road #01-35 Singapore 160071 Tel: +65 6225 5223
Daily 0730 to 2130
By MRT: East-West Line – Outram Park or Tiong Bahru station
– alight at Blk 55 along Tiong Bahru Road – 5, 16, 33, 63, 75, 123, 175, 195, 851, 970
– alight at Eton House Pre-School along Outram Road – 33, 63, 75, 851, 970